As the full moon reaches its peak tomorrow 10:45, I am writing this so you have enough time to prepare for your own full moon ritual. It will be very simple, with objects you have in your home. Rituals work best when you make them your own, so I will give you some ideas and guidelines and then all it takes is your creativity and commitment to follow through so your intention materialises.
This is the most important thing in rituals. Make sure your intention is clear. Scorpio is the deepest, most emotional sign (feminine, fixed, water) and this full moon wants to illuminate those conditionings, fears, patterns which are buried deep into the psyche so they can be transformed. So I encourage you to sit in meditation before your ritual, to connect with the full moon. My own personal recommendation time-wise is to sit in meditation for a half hour.
– A candle, any candle or tea light, white is best – this represents fire. Preferably a match to light it
– Bring on your crystals, if you have any. Otherwise anything which represents earth for you can be used instead: a stone, sand, soil, branches
– Incense, sage, palo santo… to cleanse – these represent air
– And finally water in any form: a simple bowl of water will do
– On top of these bring an image / figure / your own drawing of a deity (any deity) you want present in your ritual. I chose Ganesh, destroyer of obstacles and he is holding up Fortuna, the Roman goddess representing luck and the ups and downs of life. The possibilities are endless here, so choose someone or something you truly connect with
– Any trinkets you want to bring in which will bring meaning and power to the ritual. I have Ganesh holding a red and blue feather, for example, this feather represents the freedom and lightness of flight; its colours water and fire; and she is being grounded by Ganesh and her round belly. So the four elements are also represented here
– Last you will need a piece of paper and a pencil or pen and a fire resistant bowl or plate
Find a space where you can be relaxed and won’t be interrupted. Outdoors is best, or anywhere where you can get a glimpse of the full moon. If you need to sit on a cushion or chair to be comfortable in meditation, make sure you bring it into the space.
Light the candle with the match stick and place it in the middle of this space.
Cast a circle of protection around the space you will be working in. There is many ways to do this. A very effective way is to light your incense / palo santo / smudge stick in the candle and walk around the space holding it, cleansing the space and casting a veil of protection around it. Use your own words here as you walk around the circle. You can just say: ‘I am safe inside this circle, I am protected’.
Now sit in front of the candle and gaze at it. Take the piece of paper and start burning its edges on the candle. Be careful as you do this and keep your mind focused. Make sure the whole edge of the paper is burned, this will seal its contents.
Next start preparing you altar for the ritual. Place the rest of the elements around the candle and the paper and pencil / pen close to you. Have a drink of water from the bowl so you start connecting with this element and sit comfortably. If you have a timer you can set to bring you out of the meditation, set it now – I recommend ‘Insight timer’ which is a free app with a very simple yet effective timer. Otherwise you may choose to bring yourself back whenever it feels like the right time. Ground your sit bones as you start your meditation and connect with the moon, visualise her beautiful pale white halo bathing you and ask her for insights: ‘what needs to be transformed?’ ‘what has reached its sell-by-date and needs to go?’ Be open and receptive, allow these insights to come to you.
Once your meditation is finished, download those insights into the fire sealed paper. Try not to think about it and just pour them onto the paper. This paper is sealed with the element of fire, standing for transformation, destruction and creation, purification. Once you finish, hold the paper in front of you, and visualise whatever your wrote in your paper, literally leaving your body and being absorbed by your paper. Now it is all sealed in the paper. Fold or loosely scrunch the paper and burn a corner with the candle flame. Be safe as you do so and quickly place it into the fire resistant bowl. Watch it burn and be conscious of how you feel as you do so. Do you feel lighter? More energised? More positive? If you write a journal, write these feelings down. What is your next step? How will this transformation manifest?
Write down what comes to you from the heart, to earth it. Make a commitment. Every day do something small which brings you closer to that change. The full moon will be back and then you can peel yet another layer, but, for now, well done and keep up the good work of being present and attuned to the moon cycles!